U.S. regulations of telecommunications equipment, software and technology exports largely fall under Category 5, Part 1 of the Commerce Control List. We help clients assess the licensing requirements for their products and technologies and assist them in filing the appropriate applications. For example, we assist clients that produce or export:
- Fixed Wireless Access
- Fourth Generation (4G) Technologies
- IP Telephony (VoIP)
- Satellite Equipment & Services
- Third Generation (3G) Technologies
Telecommunications items containing encryption deserve special attention as the Bureau of Industry and Security separately regulates encryption technologies in Category 5, Part 2. Our attorneys have extensive experience with obtaining licenses and locating license exceptions for items with encryption features.
- Represented telecommunications and medical equipment companies in connection with trade sanctions administered by the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control
- Led internal investigations of telecommunication and scientific instrument companies regarding potential violations of trade sanctions administered by the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control and the Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security
- Performed compliance audits and assisted with implementation of export compliance programs under the Commerce Department’s Export Administration Regulations for various information technology, networking, software, telecommunications, semiconductor, and semiconductor processing equipment companies
- Assisted foreign telecommunications company with obtaining re-export licenses for U.S. origin equipment to countries subject to trade sanctions administered by the Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security
- Represented a telecommunications company in matter before U.S. Customs and Border Protection involving the seizure and detention of products
For more information, please contact Roz Thomsen.