Roszel C. Thomsen II
Roz concentrates on international trade and investment law, with emphasis on representing information technology and life sciences companies and their trade associations in regulatory, legislative and enforcement matters.
- State of Maryland
- District of Columbia
- Various Federal Courts
Roszel (Roz) Thomsen represents technology companies, from the “Fortune 100” to Startups, with respect to federal regulation of international technology transfers. Recognized as a leader among practitioners of export controls and economic sanctions law, his practice focuses on:
- Regulatory: Advising clients regarding compliance with export licensing and similar requirements associated with their international trade and investment activities.
- Enforcement: Representing clients in civil and criminal proceedings before the Departments of Commerce, Justice, State and Treasury.
- Legislative: Advocating clients’ interest with respect to Federal legislation affecting export controls, economic sanctions and cybersecurity legislation.
- Represented Silicon Valley companies in connection with diversion of their products to Syria and Iran.
- Advised European and Israeli companies in connection with proceedings before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS/Exon Florio).
- Testified as an Expert Witness on Export Control and Economic Sanctions issues in litigation and arbitration proceedings on behalf of U.S. and foreign companies.
Federal Advisory Appointments
- Commerce Department, Bureau of Industry and Security’s Information Systems Technical Advisory Committee
- Commerce Department, Bureau of Industry and Security’s Regulations and Procedures Technical Advisory Committee
- Commerce Department, International Trade Administration & United States Trade Representative’s Industry Trade Advisory Committee
- Justice Department, Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Information Technology Study Group
- State Department, Bureau of Economic Affairs’ Wassenaar Arrangement Experts Group
United States Export Controls (American Law and Media, 4th–7th Editions)
Export Controls on Intrusion and Surveillance Items: Noble Sentiments Meet the Law of Unintended Consequences (Journal of Internet Law, September 2015)
Additional Items of Interest
- Editor, Journal of Internet Law
- Founder, Alliance for Network Security
- President, International Trade Consulting LLC
- Chair, Global Cryptography, Cybersecurity and Cloud Computing Conference
- Past President, Board of Trustees, Roland Park Country School
- Honoree, Best Lawyers in America (2006-Present)
Did you know?
- Roz is an avid Alpine Skier and Mountain Climber in New England and the Mountain West