Developing and maintaining an internal regulatory compliance program is critical to maintaining uninterrupted operations. We provide on-site compliance audits and help design and implement organization-wide compliance programs. When violations occur or when the Government exercises its enforcement duties, we help clients develop strategies to remedy the situation. Our practice primarily involves the regulatory regimes under the Department of Commerce, Department of State, and Department of Treasury along with other international trade laws.
Our services include:
- Establishing internal procedures for export compliance
- Developing Export Compliance Program manuals
- Training for key employees
- Internal audit
- Litigation assistance
Compliance Program Development
Thomsen and Burke’s attorneys assist compliance officers and operations directors with developing procedures, drafting internal manuals, and training key employees in order to fully comply with federal regulations. Our structured method for developing a comprehensive program creates tailored compliance programs that support, rather than hinder, our client’s business objectives.
Internal Audit Program
Our attorneys and staff perform rigorous internal audits of regulatory compliance for organizations of all sizes. Whether your organization has not conducted a full assessment of compliance practices or anticipates a future merger or acquisition, we provide thorough and timely assessments of internal compliance programs.
For companies that have an established Compliance Program, our audit helps to identify minor gaps and allows us to provide suggestions for improvement and recommendations that would make it consistent with industry “best practice” based on what we have seen at similarly sized companies in similar fields.
For companies that do not have an established Compliance Program, our audit allows us (and the in-house compliance person) to understand how the company works, identify compliance gaps and areas of risk, identify the key players, begin building the relationships needed to implement a compliance program, and develop a plan for implementing a compliance program tailored to that company.
Thomsen and Burke LLP provides litigation assistance to organizations and law firms involved in enforcement matters. We help draft strategies and position assessments in response to potential violations.
- Represented companies with respect to reviews by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, including related export and security clearance issues
- Conducted an ITAR audit of defense company in support of settlement agreement with the State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls
- Performed compliance audits and assisted with implementation of export compliance programs under the Commerce Department’s Export Administration Regulations for various information technology, networking, software, telecommunications, semiconductor, and semiconductor processing equipment companies
- Counseled software, scientific instrument, semiconductor, and programmable logic device companies with implementation of export compliance programs under the State Department’s International Traffic in Arms Regulations
- Led internal investigations of telecommunication and scientific instrument companies regarding potential violations of trade sanctions administered by the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control and the Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security
- Represented a telecommunications company in matter before U.S. Customs and Border Protection involving the seizure and detention of products
For more information about our regulatory compliance services, please contact a firm partner.